Thoughts on Keybase

MFPA 2014-667rhzu3dc-lists-groups at riseup.net
Wed Jan 7 05:05:06 CET 2015

Hi

On Wednesday 7 January 2015 at 3:27:10 AM, in
<mid:9A642D95-C400-442F-B952-639B7F848067 at sixdemonbag.org>, Robert J.
Hansen wrote:

> Unfortunately, unless you’re psychic this is
> impossible.  You don’t know what information will be
> relevant.  You’ll never discover “the dead guy spilled
> a hot coffee all over the other guy yesterday, and they
> had an argument, and the guy said he was going to kill
> him for spilling coffee” unless you interview the
> barista where the shooter had a cup of coffee
> yesterday.

Aside from only demonstrating possible earlier intent rather later
actions, the fraction of comments of "I'll kill you" that actually convert to
murders is vanishingly small. If I were a juror, this evidence would
tell me nothing about guilt or otherwise.

> The police’s job isn’t just to see whether a person
> fired the gun; it’s also to determine why, and whether
> more crimes are likely connected.

I'm not sure the "why" matters, unless for mitigation. But connected
crimes makes sense.

> If the dead guy is
> named McCoy and the living one is named Hatfield,
> that’s a strong hint the death is connected to a blood
> feud and the police need to be on the lookout for
> revenge killings.

The reference is lost on me. Neither is exactly an uncommon name.

> Only true in certain countries.

I read recently that under Napoleonic law in France, the accused has
to disprove state accusations. But I never gave it any credence.

> Not a privacy invasion, since that’s a public record.

CRB checks (in the UK) also include non-public records held by police
forces and other organisations.

And of course it is a privacy invasion to go delving into records of
past events if the subject has not shared them with you and does not
generally broadcast them. When the penalty has been paid, the debt to
society is discharged and it is no longer anybody else's business.

- --
Best regards

MFPA                    mailto:2014-667rhzu3dc-lists-groups at riseup.net

Put knot yore trust inn spel chequers