Thoughts on Keybase

MichaelQuigley at TheWay.Org MichaelQuigley at TheWay.Org
Wed Jan 7 14:08:27 CET 2015

"Gnupg-users" <gnupg-users-bounces at gnupg.org> wrote on 01/06/2015 10:28:12
PM:
> ----- Message from "Robert J. Hansen" <rjh at sixdemonbag.org> on Tue,
> 6 Jan 2015 22:27:10 -0500 -----

> MFPA <2014-667rhzu3dc-lists-groups at riseup.net>
>
> cc:
>
> "Mark H. Wood on GnuPG-Users" <gnupg-users at gnupg.org>, "Mark H.
> Wood" <mwood at IUPUI.Edu>

> Re: Thoughts on Keybase
>
> > We know he was standing with a smoking gun, close to a body on the
> > ground. We should be investigating what happened, not wasting our time
> > with yesterday's food and the last three years' commuting habits.

Indeed the events surrounding the crime must be fully investigated.
However . . .

"Because sentence against an evil work is not executed speedily, therefore
the heart of the sons of men is fully set in them to do evil."
Ecclesiastes 8:11

> Unfortunately, unless you’re psychic this is impossible.  You don’t
> know what information will be relevant.  You’ll never discover “the
> dead guy spilled a hot coffee all over the other guy yesterday, and
> they had an argument, and the guy said he was going to kill him for
> spilling coffee” unless you interview the barista where the shooter
> had a cup of coffee yesterday.

I agree.

> > There are those who disagree, and insist on Criminal Record checks
> > when an individual interacts with them in a context completely
> > unrelated to any crime - such as a job application.
>
> Not a privacy invasion, since that’s a public record.

Absolutely. Employers have been held liable for hiring people with a
criminal record. e.g., Someone convicted of child molestation might not be
the best choice for a school bus driver or even school janitor--even if
they've "paid their debt." Or another less extreme example: hiring someone
as a cashier who has a criminal record of armed robbery. Perhaps they
could still be a candidate for a job, but the previous record would be
something to discuss with the individual before hiring or perhaps even
before dismissing them as a job candidate.

I don't suggest we forever treat anyone as guilty of and punishable for a
crime, but there are reasonable limits to how much we trust someone who
has been convicted for certain crimes. A criminal records check can
establish patterns or the need for greater supervision in various
positions.