Specifying passphrase for batch key generation

Werner Koch wk at gnupg.org
Thu Jan 15 09:56:22 CET 2015

On Wed, 14 Jan 2015 21:59, jose.castillo at gmail.com said:

> Now that we cannot specify a passphrase in the batch parameters, what
> is the preferred method for batch key generation with a specified
> passphrase?

Thanks for this question.  The Enigmail folks also asked on how to do
this and my answer was to switch to pinentry-mode=loopback.  Revisiting
the code, it seems that there could be an easier solution.  I see no
reason why we should not allow passing a passphrase along with the
parameters for the key generation.  After all if the user wants to work
around the Pinentry, they should be allowed to do that - at least for
the key generation.

It requires a bit of code but I think it is worth to have it in 2.1.2.

Salam-Shalom,

   Werner