Hash selection failure on 2.1.1

David Shaw dshaw at jabberwocky.com
Sun Jan 18 02:02:06 CET 2015

On Jan 17, 2015, at 5:48 PM, Robert J. Hansen <rjh at sixdemonbag.org> wrote:

> quorra:~ rjh$ grep default-pref .gnupg/gpg.conf
> default-preference-list SHA256 RIPEMD160 AES256 CAMELLIA256 TWOFISH 3DES
>

> ... As I understand the way algorithms are selected, GnuPG uses the
> most-preferred algorithm in my list that is also present in the
> recipient's capability set.  Since SHA-1 implicitly follows after SHA256
> and RIPEMD160, it has the lowest priority.

That's basically how it works for "personal-digest-preferences", but you're showing your "default-preference-list".  They're very different.  default-preference-list sets the default preferences for new keys and is not part of the digest choice when signing.

> By my understanding, GnuPG should start by trying SHA256 and discovering
> Raven doesn't advertise that as a capability.  It should then try
> RIPEMD160 and see Raven advertises that, and thus it should use RIPEMD160.

Not in this case.  That's a clearsigned message above, and so GnuPG has no way to know who your recipient is.  If you were encrypting & signing, it could know based on the recipient key, but there is no "recipient key" for a signed (only) message.  Without a recipient, there are no preferences for it to consult beyond stuff (personal-digest-preferences, usually) in your config file.

There are a bunch of steps GnuPG follows when selecting a digest for signing without a recipient, but outside of the cases when it is forced to use a particular algorithm (due to DSA size requirements, smartcard capabilities, or the like), the main steps are "If digest-algo is set, use that.  Otherwise, if personal-digest-preferences is set, use that.  Otherwise, use SHA-1."

Do you have a personal-digest-preferences (or even digest-algo) set in your config file?

David