Talking about Cryptodevices... which one?

Peter Lebbing peter at digitalbrains.com
Wed Jan 28 00:27:10 CET 2015

On 27/01/15 21:01, Andreas Schwier wrote:
> Against certain hardware attacks that try to extract information from
> EEPROM cells on the chip. The AES key is not stored in main EEPROM area
> of the chip.

To put it in slightly different terms:

The AES key is only 16 or 32 bytes long (16 most likely). An RSA private key is
much longer. The 16 bytes holding the AES key are super well protected against
extraction, but this is expensive to produce on chip. The AES-encrypted private
key is stored in less protected memory, but the data is useless without
extracting the very well protected AES key.

HTH,

Peter.