GnuPG 2.1

Bob Henson bob.henson at galen.org.uk
Tue Jul 21 17:12:26 CEST 2015

I'm not sure whether I should be asking in here or in the Enigmail
group, so I'm trying here first - please refer me to the other group if
it is more appropriate.

I've just changed over to GnuPG 2.1.x and have been trying out an ECC
key too. By and large, it all seems to work well (signatures verify, and
encryption/unencryption works fine too) , but whilst sending test
messages back and forth to myself using new and old keys for signing and
encryption I noticed a couple of odd things, and it would be useful to
know if they are related to GnuPG 2.1.x, or Enigmail (or even the ECC
key - although that isn't likely). I'm using PGP/MIME for all messages.

The first problem is trivial - if I send an HTML message, the signature
verifies correctly, but the body of the message vanishes without trace -
nothing at all shows up when trying to read the received message.
There's an easy answer, I know - don't use HTML. I'm quite happy to do
that, but I'm old and I forget :-(

The second is a bit of a problem and will look odd if it happens when I
send mail to others. Signing a message with either my old key or the new
ECC key, and sending it to myself encrypted to both keys results in no
problems with the signature or decryption, and the message appears OK.
Above, and as part of, the message text, appear two of the message headers:-

This would look a bit odd to another recipient - albeit they don't
prevent the rest of the message from being read.

Why am I asking in here - well it didn't happen with the same versions
of Thunderbird/Enigmail and GnuPG 2.0.x . That doesn't mean it isn't an
Enigmail thing, of course, and I'm hoping you'll be able to tell me
which it is.

Please feel free to laugh out loud if I'm missing something stupidly
obvious - I did tell you I was old :-)

Regards,

Bob