GnuPG 2.1

Robert J. Hansen rjh at sixdemonbag.org
Tue Jul 21 19:31:09 CEST 2015

> Please feel free to laugh out loud if I'm missing something stupidly
> obvious - I did tell you I was old :-)

Nonsense: good questions deserve good answers.  :)

> I'm not sure whether I should be asking in here or in the Enigmail
> group, so I'm trying here first - please refer me to the other group
> if it is more appropriate.

It's a little of both, actually.  You may want to ask again on Enigmail,
although you'll likely get a lot of the same answers from a lot of the
same people (myself included).

> I've just changed over to GnuPG 2.1.x and have been trying out an
> ECC key too.

Right now, I wouldn't recommend ECC for production use.  We're still
getting the kinks worked out of it, and it isn't beyond the realm of
possibility to think we might see significant changes by GnuPG 2.2.
That said, if your purpose is edification and education, go for it! :)

> The first problem is trivial - if I send an HTML message, the
> signature verifies correctly, but the body of the message vanishes
> without trace - nothing at all shows up when trying to read the
> received message. There's an easy answer, I know - don't use HTML.

The easy answer is also the wrong one.  This appears to be a serious
usability bug, and we very much want to fix those!

Could you please do the following?

	1.  Write a short message in HTML.  (Just "Hello, world!"
	    will do.)
	2.  Send it to me, *off-list*.
	3.  Write the exact same short message in a new email.
	4.  Sign it using PGP/MIME and send it to me *off-list*.

I'll take a look at it.  If I can't see the problem, I'll kick it over
to Patrick and Nicolai for some in-depth debugging.

> Above, and as part of, the message text, appear two of the message
> headers:-

This is a known issue.  Enigmail expects GnuPG to behave in a certain
way, and since 2.1 GnuPG acts just slightly different than what we
expect.  Getting this fixed is on our to-do list.  :)