Facebook and OpenPGP

Einar Ryeng einarr at pvv.org
Mon Jun 1 22:17:33 CEST 2015

On Mon, Jun 01, 2015 at 06:37:33PM +0200, gnupg-users at henk.geekmail.org wrote:

> A comment worth reading in case one does not see it oneself IMHO:
> https://blogs.fsfe.org/gerloff/2015/06/01/facebook-offers-to-send-you-encrypted-emails-this-wont-help-you/

Well, that comment seems to identify the two main groups you want to hide
information from as being Facebook and the US government. If that was true, you
probably wouldn't be on FB in the first place.

As I see it, the good stuff is:

- First and foremost: other websites might copy this. I'd love to see banks,
  insurance companies and anyone sending me invoices on email pick up on the
  idea.

- It will definately stop your local network administrator, your boss etc.
  from snooping your emails. Likely, it's also making it harder for any _other_
  government than the US to read your communications.

- FB will be able to sign emails to the users who are interested in this
  security. Granted, people who know how to use encryption probably aren't
  easily fooled by phishing, but in some cases it may do targeted hacking
  just that tiny bit harder.

- The total flow of encrypted email will increase, hopefully eventually making
  intelligence agencies a bit more relaxed to the whole concept.

... and the bad stuff is next to nothing. Anyone not actively enabling this
option will likely never be bothered by it. Which would be the first step to
convincing other sites that this is a safe thing to do.

--
Einar Ryeng