Facebook and OpenPGP

Steve Butler sbutler at fchn.com
Thu Jun 4 19:21:12 CEST 2015

MFPA:

> On Monday 1 June 2015 at 5:37:33 PM, in
> <mid:20150601183733.3fc5b0c6 at frustcomp.home.hnjs.ch>,
> gnupg-users at henk.geekmail.org wrote:
>

>> A comment worth reading in case one does not see it oneself IMHO:
>> https://blogs.fsfe.org/gerloff/2015/06/01/facebook-offers-to-send-you
>> -encrypted-emails-this-wont-help-you/
>
> Whatever Facebook's motivation, doesn't anything that increases the
> proportion of emails that are encrypted during transit count as a Good
> Thing?

Yeah, I think it sets a great precedent for other large organizations to follow.  Plus it increases the amount of PGP-encrypted email flowing around, which reduces PGP as a marker for "secret messages".

.hc

======
One thing I learned in college, if all inbound mail came in the same color (pink) and scented then nobody knew which one came from the girl-friend.  It was easier to get her to use a brown non-descript envelope though!

confidential
message.