German ct magazine postulates death of pgp encryption

Hans of Guardian hans at guardianproject.info
Tue Mar 3 13:50:24 CET 2015

On Feb 27, 2015, at 1:11 PM, Kristian Fiskerstrand wrote:

> On 02/27/2015 12:43 PM, Hauke Laging wrote:
>> Am Fr 27.02.2015, 12:27:40 schrieb gnupgpacker:
>>
>>> Maybe implementation with an opt-in could preserve publishing of
>>> faked keys on public keyservers?
>>
>> We need keyservers which are a lot better that today's. IMHO that
>> also means that a keyserver should tell a client for each offered
>> certificate whether it (or a trusted keyserver) has made such an
>> email verification.
>
> The keyservers have no role in this, they are pure data store and can
> never act as a CA. That would bring up a can of worm of issues, both
> politically and legally, I wouldn't want to see the first case where a
> keyserver operator was sued for permitting a "fake key" (the term
> itself is very misleading, the key itself isn't fake at all, but a
> fully valid key where the UID has not been mated to its holder through
> proper validation).

The standard PGP keyserver pool is a mess with racist spam, lost keys that will be there forever, etc.  The concept of email validation is very very common and proven in internet service providers.  It is time for OpenPGP keyservers to join the rest of the internet.

Keyservers should not be located in jurisdictions where they could be sued for merely acting as a conduit for data.  There are many countries that meet this criteria.  The US is one good example there: internet service providers are not liable for what their users do.

.hc