Thoughts on GnuPG and automation

Robert J. Hansen rjh at sixdemonbag.org
Wed Mar 4 10:57:57 CET 2015

> It can't be that bad:
>
> $ apt-cache rdepends libgpgme11 | wc -l 84
>
> and the majority of problems I hear are by projects which do not use
> GPGME.  So I wonder a bit about your statement.

You're looking at FOSS projects that have successfully used GPGME, but
that doesn't tell you about proprietary projects that have chosen not to
use GPGME.  I've had clients refuse to use GPGME because of the
licensing, even under the LGPLv2.1.  (Foolish, I know.)  Other times
I've discovered GPGME doesn't support a particular feature I need, like
discovering the default preference lists that are currently in use.  Etc.

This doesn't impact my opinion of GPGME as a tool.  It just means that,
like all tools, there are environments where other tools are better ideas.