Thoughts on GnuPG and automation

Bob (Robert) Cavanaugh robertc at broadcom.com
Mon Mar 9 22:10:32 CET 2015

Hi Hans,
Wanted to respond to your post wondering why you are getting the responses you are.

In another thread you write:
"There are other C-Python wrappers of GPGME, like pyme.  I hope you're aware of those, and have studied them.  One thing that GnuPG suffers from is many people starting their own wrappers, but few people finishing them or contributing to existing ones.  That is not a sustainable situation."

This is the problem. You frame the dialog as blaming GnuPG and the design choices made in its implementation. Direct case in point: It is certainly not Werner's or any other principal GnuPG developer's issue if and when someone else independently took on a project to wrap GnuPG or GPGME. The fact that  these people might have bitten off more than they can chew is completely irrelevant to the canonical implementation and frankly should be irrelevant to this discussion. When I said approach this in a constructive manner I meant this: You have some requirements. In your estimation these requirements are not met with the current toolset. Then instead of explicitly expecting this group to implement a paradigm shift (and forgive me if I misunderstand you, but that is what I infer you are asking for) generate a proposal for an Android-centric API. Or, if you feel that the infrastructure cannot support it, take the completely open sources Werner and group have provided and generate your own system that meets your needs. If possible,  (and here again I am clarifying my original post) work with the people on this group to help you use the existing tools to get your requirements met. But speaking as a professional engineer of 25+ years experience, you will not get your desired results by starting the conversation impuning the work that went before and claiming that what you are asking for is far superior. If it is not your intent to convey that message then please review what you write before you send it, because that message was received loud and clear.

Thanks,

Bob Cavanaugh