Enigmail speed geeking

Robert J. Hansen rjh at sixdemonbag.org
Thu Mar 12 17:25:27 CET 2015

> There are USB-Sticks with an embedded smart card controller that
> take away the burden to find a working card reader (which _is_ a real
> pain). The one we use has a standard CCID interface that works
> without driver installation on the majority of operating systems.

Yeah -- back in 2000 I used a Rainbow iKey, which was one of the first
USB tokens.  Then I discovered the downside of USB tokens: they don't
take well to going through the wash.  (You know how when you pull
clothes out of the dryer they've got all kinds of static electricity on
them?  USB tokens don't take kindly to that.)

I dunno, maybe today we've got USB tokens that can survive the wash.
Wouldn't surprise me.  Unfortunately, I don't have the money to make a
good empirical test.