what is the proper way to load gpg-agent with systemd

Paulo Lopes pmlopes at gmail.com
Tue Mar 17 15:48:54 CET 2015

Hello,

I've been using my gpg card with success in Ubuntu for a while but as
everyone knows the init system is switching from upstart to systemd as it
is happening on Debian and the vast majority of other distributions.

In the "past" one could start gpg-agent from the script that boots Xorg or
even the gnome-keyring and we could "inject" a couple of variables into the
session like

GPG_AGENT_INFO
SSH_AGENT_PID
SSH_AUTH_SOCK

and all applications spawned from that process inherit those vars, however
systemd does not inherit vars from its unit files (and my experience with
systemd is extremely low so i could be saying something wrong here).

It would be nice to have some documentation on gnupg site describing the
best way to work with systemd...