Defaults

Samir Nassar samir at samirnassar.com
Wed Mar 18 00:16:01 CET 2015

On Tuesday, March 17, 2015 06:53:48 PM Daniel Kahn Gillmor wrote:
> Brainpool-512 is incompatible with some of the other work going on in
> the OpenPGP ecosystem (e.g. yahoo and google's work on the e2e webmail
> app, which supports P-256 and P-512).

Well, the Yahoo! folks are not 100% committed to OpenPGP compatibility,
according to statements on Twitter. Of course this may or may not change (or
it could all be a misunderstanding), in case it isn't though, I don't see what
E2E-compatability adds. If the projects make a solid commitment to OpenPGP
compatibility and back it up then that changes things.

> At any rate, changes are afoot, and i don't think we should be afraid to
> update the defaults if we think a new set is reasonable.

Hear hear. There are many times where GnuPG setting the pace would have helped
those of us helping others understand how to use PGP.

Samir