PGP/MIME (Was: One alternative to SMTP for email: Confidant Mail)

martijn.list martijn.list at gmail.com
Wed Mar 25 21:06:53 CET 2015

On 03/25/2015 08:41 PM, Doug Barton wrote:
> On 3/25/15 11:08 AM, Bob (Robert) Cavanaugh wrote:
>> Doug,
>> Signature shows as an attachment "signature.asc". No evidence that PGP
>> actions were envoked. Work forces use of Synaptic PGP, so I cannot
>> tell if it is verified or not.
>
> Thanks Bob, that is interesting feedback.
>
> FWIW, I have received various other messages privately from people who
> have said the same thing ... They can see the attachment, but either
> message verification fails, or there is no indication on their side that
> it is a PGP-signed message at all.
>
> While this is strictly anecdotal evidence I would argue that it's a good
> indication that we may not be ready for PGP/MIME as the default.

It looks like this is caused by the mailing list software (mailman).
Mailman adds a banner to the mail and therefore the mail is no longer a
valid PGP/MIME mail. I think mailman should be smart enough not to mess
with digitally signed mail (same thing happens with S/MIME signed email).

Kind regards,

Martijn Brinkers

--
CipherMail email encryption

Open source email encryption gateway with support for S/MIME, OpenPGP
and PDF messaging.

http://www.ciphermail.com

Twitter: http://twitter.com/CipherMail