gnupg migration corrupt db?

Berend De Schouwer berend.de.schouwer at gmail.com
Fri May 15 13:57:35 CEST 2015

On Fri, 2015-05-15 at 13:37 +0200, Werner Koch wrote:
> On Thu, 14 May 2015 13:16, berend.de.schouwer at gmail.com said:
>
> > Right now gnupg1 works, but gnupg2 does not.  With that, I mean
> > gnupg1
> > can decrypt, but gnupg2 cannot decrypt the same files.  The reason
> > seems to be a failure to read or accept certain secret keys.
>
> Are tehse PGP2 keys - they are not anymore supported in 2.1

Some of them were likely created with GnuPG 0.0001, in the year 1917
:)  Some of them are more recent.  They are unlikely to have been
created by PGP any version.  How do I check if they are PGP2 keys?

> > gpg: keydb_get_keyblock failed: Value not found
> > gpg: key 77731557: public key "[User ID not found]" imported
> > gpg: key 77731557: failed to re-lookup public key
>
> Please update to 2.1.4  2.1.2 has some problems skipping PGP-2 keys.

Will do.  gnupg.org/download is my friend.

> > I do have backups :)  Is this salvageable?
>
> In fact it should continue to work with GnuPG-1.

They do.  But I don't want to keep two gnupg versions installed
indefinitely, and use different binaries for different keys.  That's
madness.

>   There is a stamp file
> which tells 2.1 not to auto-migrate anymore (~/.gnupg/.gpg-v21
> -migrated).

I'll restore from backup, and create that file.