multiple instances of gpg-agent

Werner Koch wk at gnupg.org
Tue May 19 18:02:43 CEST 2015

On Tue, 19 May 2015 00:54, 2014-667rhzu3dc-lists-groups at riseup.net said:

> I just saw that in action: trying to run the command line shown in
> Process Explorer for an already-running agent gives me:-
>
> gpg-agent: a gpg-agent is already running - not starting a new one

You are starting it and it is not started on demand by gpg. Thus youy
get this error message.  If gpg detects that no agent is running, it
takes a lock, tests again, starts the agent, and releases the lock.

> How long is agent supposed to stay running when it is no longer being
> used? It looks like mine last until I reboot. Or specifically

It is a daemon and it is not expected to stop.  You logout script may
stop it using "gpgconf --kill gpg-agent".  You should not stop it if it
is used by other sessions - thus this is left to the user.  There is no
harm in keeping the agent running.  To flush the passphrase cache you
may send a HUP to the agent or "gpgconf --reload gpg-agent".

Shalom-Salam,

   Werner