multiple instances of gpg-agent

Jean-David Beyer jeandavid8 at verizon.net
Mon May 18 14:38:40 CEST 2015

On 05/17/2015 09:02 PM, MFPA wrote:

> I have read several times that multiple instances of gpg-agent is
> not good. But I regularly see six or seven listings of
> "gpg-agent.exe" in Task Manager or Process Explorer. If I don't
> re-boot in the meantime (or kill the gpg-agent.exe processes with
> Task Manager) they can hang around for at least a day after last
> use. Is this likely to cause any problems?
>
> I am currently running GnuPG version 2.1.4 under Windows XP. GnuPG
> is used by my email client, by a GUI key manager, occasional
> commandline use, and by Mike Ingle's Confidant Mail.

I run Red Hat Enterprise Linux 6 and I get lots of them too. I just
kill them once in a while, but surely that is not ideal.

I tried the following script in my .bash_profile that I thought would
work, but it does not.

SOCKET=S.gpg-agent
PIDOF=`pidof gpg-agent`
declare -x PIDOF
#RETVAL=$?
kill -s SIGHUP $PIDOF 2>/dev/null
rm $HOME/.gnupg/$SOCKET
rm -fr /tmp/gpg-*
eval $(gpg-agent --daemon)
GPG_SOCKET_FILE=`find /tmp/gpg-* -name $SOCKET` 2>/dev/null
ln -s $GPG_SOCKET_FILE $HOME/.gnupg
#echo .bash_profile ran `/bin/date +%Y%b%d%R `
 $GPG_SOCKET_FILE >> /home/jeandavid8/XprofileLog.txt

  /V\  PGP-Key:166D840A 0C610C8B Registered Machine  1935521.
 /( )\ Shrewsbury, New Jersey    http://linuxcounter.net
 ^^-^^ 08:15:01 up 16 days, 16:06, 2 users, load average: 5.37, 5.13, 4.
87