multiple instances of gpg-agent

Werner Koch wk at gnupg.org
Tue May 19 18:11:27 CEST 2015

On Mon, 18 May 2015 14:38, jeandavid8 at verizon.net said:

> I run Red Hat Enterprise Linux 6 and I get lots of them too. I just
> kill them once in a while, but surely that is not ideal.

The man pages gives hints on how to avoid starting several
instances of gpg-agent.  You should start it in your ~/.xsession script:

  gpg-agent --daemon --enable-ssh-support \
            --write-env-file "$@{HOME@}/.gpg-agent-info"

and for each login shell you run this:

  if [ -f "${HOME}/.gpg-agent-info" ]; then
    . "${HOME}/.gpg-agent-info"
    export GPG_AGENT_INFO
    export SSH_AUTH_SOCK
  fi

However it is easier to put "use-standard-socket" into
~/.gnupg/gpg-agent.conf and let gpg start gpg-agent as needed.  This is
the same procedure as used by 2.1 and which has always used with 2.0 on
Windows (where use-standard-socket is the default).

Salam-Shalom,

   Werner