Ohhhh jeeee: can't encode a 512 bit MD into a 608 bits frame

Philip Jackson philip.jackson at nordnet.fr
Tue May 19 23:18:20 CEST 2015

On 19/05/15 18:14, Werner Koch wrote:

> You are trying to sign using SHA-512 and a small key.  This is most
> likely due to custom preferences set on your key or in your config.

I do have SHA-512 set as first preference in gpg.conf for both "message digest
algorithm used when signing a key" and for "personal-digest-preferences"

My key and sub-keys are RSA2048 - I didn't think that would be classed as a
small key.  And this message doesn't seem to me to have anything to do with signing.

I first saw this message in an enigmail debug log after having received an
enigmail alertbox containing absolutely no information.  The alertbox appeared
when I opened the next message in a recent thread of the gnupg-users mail list.
 The message was signed by its sender but enigmail would not display the key
properties.

Patric B suggested that the cause of the blank alertbox was this line in the
debug log :
gpg: Ohhhh jeeee: can't encode a 512 bit MD into a 608 bits frame

A couple of days' later, I wanted to look at my public keyring contents so I
entered :  gpg2 -k    and the listing stopped short with the following :

gpg: Ohhhh jeeee: can't encode a 512 bit MD into a 608 bits frame
Aborted (core dumped)
134 philip at philip-desktop:~$

(134 being, I suppose, the error return)

This does not happen with gpg -k  (ie using gnupg 1.4.16)

None of this is directly connected with attempting to sign a key (which I
haven't done for several months).

Regards
Philip