OPENPGP URI PROPOSAL

Robert J. Hansen rjh at sixdemonbag.org
Fri May 22 02:18:47 CEST 2015

> So what are data uri classified as then?

Something that's mostly limited to web browsers and a couple of email
clients.  It's meant for including data in-line in web pages, not as
separate documents, and has pretty close to nil adoption in the rest of
the ecosystem.

Adopting a special OpenPGP data URI scheme just for web browsers seems
pretty weird to me.  Especially given how difficult it would be to get
the browser community to adopt it -- as a general rule, no standard can
take off unless Internet Explorer supports it.  (XHTML 1.0 and 1.1, may
you rest in peace.)

If you can get Microsoft to support this, or someone to produce an IE
plugin to handle it, then maybe.  But otherwise, I think a web-specific
data URI for OpenPGP data is DOA.