Trying to install version 2.1.4

guido guido at dis.tur.bio
Sun May 24 10:10:06 CEST 2015

On 23/05/2015, Rex Kneisley wrote:
> Hello all,

Hi,

> I have just done a clean install of Debian 8.0 on an i7-4790K with 16 GB RAM.
> I am trying to install GNUPG 2.1.4
> (I have this thing about wanting the latest version… call me crazy)
>
> I have done this before in Debian Wheezy. I install all of the latest libraries (in order), and the install GnuPg 2.1
> The problem is that Debian 8.0 (Jessie) comes with GnuPG version 2.0.26
>
> It appears that when I go through the motions of installing 2.1.4, it leaves things untouched.
> after I’m done:
> #gpg2 —version
> returns: 2.0.26
> And then I read that 2.0.26 and 2.1.4 cannot co-exist.
>
> OK, so now I am trying to remove 2.0.26
>
> However, when I try to remove it using package manager it wants to also remove a whole host of other software.
>
> So I tried using apt-get remove gnupg
>
> I get an ominous warning that the following packages will be REMOVED
> apt apt-listchanges apt-utils gnome gnupg python-reporting... etc. etc.
> This should NOT be done unless you know exactly what you are doing (which I don’t)
> apt gnupg (due to apt)
>  0 upgraded, 0 newly installed , 14 to remove, and 0 not upgraded
> You are about to do something potentially harmful
> Type: Yes, do as I say!
>

> Question:
> Will all this stuff reinstall itself when I re-install GnuPG 2.1.4?
> Is there any way to do a targeted removal of 2.0.26 to make room for 2.1.4 without removing all the other things?
> Is there a way to UPGRADE from 2.0.26 to the latest version (2.1.4)?

I don't know how terrible your jessie install will get, but there is a
gnupg 2.1 (2.1.3 currently) package in experimental:
https://tracker.debian.org/pkg/gnupg2

I know it can be installed in jessie using these steps:
https://debian-administration.org/users/dkg/weblog/110

but of course this means mixing two versions, which is less than ideal
on a stable system. anyway, you can try that or backport the gnupg 2.1
package for stable
https://wiki.debian.org/SimpleBackportCreation

This is the only grain of help i can give,
salud