Trying to install version 2.1.4

Peter Lebbing peter at digitalbrains.com
Sun May 24 12:58:21 CEST 2015

On 24/05/15 07:28, Rex Kneisley wrote:
> It appears that when I go through the motions of installing 2.1.4, it
> leaves things untouched.

It would be very helpful if you could share the actual commands you entered
and their output. This is just an interpretation of what happened, and makes
it impossible to give an answer as to what went wrong.

By the way, since you say you really want the latest, I assume 2.1.3 from the
Debian experimental "distribution" is too old for you? Because that is very
easy to install on jessie; it's what I do.

> Question: Will all this stuff reinstall itself when I re-install GnuPG
> 2.1.4?

When it doesn't come from a Debian package but is something you installed
locally: the stuff will definitely not be re-installed.

In fact, having both the Debian gnupg2 package and your local GnuPG 2.1.4
installed at the same time might give subtle but show stopping issues down the
line... In my crystal ball, for instance, I foresee private keys, especially
smartcards, stopping to work in some graphical frontends, but not all ;).
(Stuff will start to depend on the precise combination of /usr/bin/gpg2 or
/usr/local/bin/gpg2 and /usr/bin/gpg-agent or /usr/local/bin/gpg-agent,
scdaemon, stuff like that).

> Is there any way to do a targeted removal of 2.0.26 to make room for 2.1.4
> without removing all the other things?

Well, yes, but it's not recommended. You can fool the package system into
thinking that you have the gnupg2 package installed, and install your own,
unmanaged instance of 2.1.4. But it's really not recommended. I hesitate to
direct you down that path.

> Is there a way to UPGRADE from 2.0.26 to the latest version (2.1.4)?

You can easily upgrade it to 2.1.3 by using the experimental "repository".

Come to think of it... you could perhaps make your own .deb package by taking
the source for 2.1.3 from experimental and upgrading the source in there to
2.1.4. I think that is actually the best way to go if you take for granted
that you really, really want the latest version. Otherwise, I'd stick with
experimental.

It might also be that the package maintainers (hi dkg!) might soon put 2.1.4
into experimental themselves. So it really depends on how far you want to take
this "I need the latest and greatest".

HTH,

Peter.