Random Seed for Generating PGP Keys

George Lee george at cmtytech.org
Sun May 24 18:35:27 CEST 2015

Hello,

I'm interested in seeing if rather than relying on the built-in software to
generate randomness when creating a PGP key, if it is possible to configure
GnuPG to use a manually entered random seed. That way I could generate a
seed using coins, dice, my magic cauldron, etc.

Is this possible to do? How much entropy in a seed would I need?

I also imagine that folks might say the software is very good at generating
random numbers. Feel free to share more details why, e.g. how many bits of
entropy are provided and how to make sure they're truly random. But it
would still be helpful to know if the above customization is possible.

Thank you!

- George