Facebook and OpenPGP

Melvin Carvalho melvincarvalho at gmail.com
Thu Oct 1 19:14:49 CEST 2015

On 1 October 2015 at 17:56, Jon Millican <jmillican at fb.com> wrote:

> On 26 September 2015 at 03:24, Christian Heinrich <
> christian.heinrich at cmlh.id.au> wrote:
> >
> > So as far as I am aware there is no integration with the Facebook
> > GraphAPI yet :(
>
> Hi, I'm Jon - I work on OpenPGP support at Facebook. I thought you might
> be interested to hear that we now support fetching public keys via the
> Graph API.
>
> Keys can be fetched from someone's profile "public_key" field, e.g. you
> could fetch my public key with the query:
>
>   /1617090031?fields=public_key
>
> If you would like to experiment with this, you can try it out with the
> Graph API Explorer at
> https://developers.facebook.com/tools/explorer/145634995501895/ (you'll
> need to be logged in to use the tool).

This is really fantastic!

Just out of curiosity would you consider using public / private key to log
in to facebook too without a password a good thing.

I know facebook would unlikely have a business case to prioritize this as
few would use it.  But Id be curious to know whether developers would
consider it a cool feature ...