AW: Seperate Session Key and Encrypted Data

Daniel Kahn Gillmor dkg at fifthhorseman.net
Thu Oct 1 19:29:14 CEST 2015

On Thu 2015-10-01 07:52:51 -0700, Christian Loehle wrote:
> That's what I would do if I had no other choice. The real downside is
> that it doesn't follow a standard(like openpgp) and I will have to write
> more code on the client side, compared to a standard openpgp solution.
> It just seems like there is no reason why separating the session key and
> the data wouldn't be supported, but I couldn't find anything about it.

The OpenPGP standard leaves this sort of approach open.  GnuPG
facilitates some part of it, but not everything.

First, take a look at --show-session-key and --override-session-key --
this makes it possible to extract a session key from an existing PKESK
or SKESK packet, and to use a known session key to decrypt a packet.

You should be able to use the gpgsplit tool to take a stream of packets
and split it into individual files.  You can use /bin/cat to collect a
set of individual files and reassemble them into an OpenPGP packet
stream.

So the only functionality GnuPG is missing to assemble the workflow
you're describing would be a new GnuPG command named something like
--generate-pkesk-with-session-key.  If that command was available, the
full workflow described by the original poster would be something you
could probably cobble together with a couple shell scripts.

Note: this is *not* something i'd want people to do as part of the
normal user interface of GnuPG.  This is a feature that would be useful
for GnuPG as an OpenPGP programming toolkit.  The fact that GnuPG is
widely used as both a user-facing tool and as a programming toolkit is
one of the things that makes it less convenient for both use cases :(

      --dkg