Just published a browser-based PGP tool

malte at wk3.org malte at wk3.org
Thu Oct 8 21:56:09 CEST 2015

Quoting Daniel Roesler (2015-10-08 17:48:59)
> It looks like this is just a barebones unhosted OpenPGP interface. All
> the others you listed try to do more (email, mobile apps, etc.). If I
> just want to quickly encrypt/decrypt/sign/verify a file, this let's me
> do it in seconds without any sort of signup or trouble.

Yeah, no. Nothing related to OpenPGP can be done within seconds. Because
key managment. Because of key generation. Because the key material for
this app is stored exactly where? How is this a "cross-compatible
OpenPGP user interface" in a way that Enigmail is not, except that
Enigmail uses the native key managment facilities and is thus at least
more cross-compatible than the suggested solution?

Also OpenPGP en- and decryption does not happen in a vacuum. You don't
go like "Oh, lets just quickly encrypt that GIF to a random public
key.". There is a reason why most of the projects I suggested do email.
But I also suggested OpenKeyChain and I forgot http://gpg4usb.org/.

> Ideally, you could just download the source and open it locally for a
> quick, cross-compatible OpenPGP user interface without having to
> install anything or get admin privileges. I should work anywhere you
> can open it in a browser (which is what I love about unhosted apps).
>
> Really sad to see it isn't open source yet...

I mean https://www.pgp4web.com/js/bundle.js is not obfuscated (except
the first line, I don't know what that is about). It's just 45000 lines
of code.

Sincerely,

Malte