The FAQ's 4GiB recommendation

Heinz Diehl htd+ml at fritha.org
Wed Sep 2 08:55:46 CEST 2015

On 27.08.2015, Robert J. Hansen wrote:

> I had someone wonder why the FAQ recommends avoiding CAST, BLOWFISH,
> IDEA, or 3DES for bulk encryption.

> Q:  Why should some ciphers be avoided for bulk encryption?

"Some ciphers" is probably not enough for those who frequently ask
about that topic. I therefore suggest to give an example and to
connect the above mentioned ciphers to the term "64-bit ciphers",
which would make the text more understandable for the "common reader",
e.g.

Q: Why should some 64-bit ciphers like CAST, BLOWFISH... be avoided
for bulk encryption?

The text as-is assumes that the reader knows what you mean by "64-bit
ciphers", which most probably isn't the case.