FAQ: drop mention of 1.4?

Samir Nassar samir at samirnassar.com
Fri Sep 4 11:57:07 CEST 2015

On Friday, September 04, 2015 09:54:58 AM Johan Wevers wrote:
> On 04-09-2015 0:46, Robert J. Hansen wrote:
> > Here's the question I really want people to answer: "At what point do we
> > tell people, 'no, that data format has been obsolete for twenty years,
> > we're not going to support it any more, it's not even close to
> > conforming to the RFCs we implement'?"
>
> Never IMO. This attitude leads to data being lost forever because new
> software can't read it anymore while the cost of adding read-only
> support is small.

I do not see how this stance is justifiable.

What is the amount of current PGP users?
What is the amount of current PGP users who started using PGP in the last 5
years?
What is the amount of current PGP users who started using PGP in the last 10
years?
What is the amount of current PGP users who started using PGP in the last 15
years?

Now, the three people who encrypted really important data using PGP 2.6 but
somehow missed out on the last 15 years of GnuPG development, use GnuPG 1.4 to
decrypt your information like Werner said.

There is no point to keeping the FAQ cluttered with references to old versions
of GnuPG and many reasons against keeping the reference.

Samir