GnuPG modern can't genereate keys on my Windows

Peter Lebbing peter at digitalbrains.com
Sun Sep 6 12:02:32 CEST 2015

On 06/09/15 10:11, Dongsheng Song wrote:
> On 2015-09-05 17:40, Werner Koch wrote:
>>  - The random number generator may not produce random output.
>
> Why not trust Windows CryptoAPI (CryptGenRandom) like libressl ?

May I suggest that you take down your compiled 64-bits versions and
issue a warning on the page, alterting people to the fact that Werner
Koch warned you that the random number generator might not work? It's
rather a huge issue, especially when people use your package to generate
their keys.

BTW, AFAIK, GnuPG builds its own random number generator upon the
services provided by the OS. It doesn't make sense (to me at least) to
make an exception for 64-bit Windows and swap it out for the OS provided
service there.

Is there any reason to provide 64-bits binaries, BTW? It's an unbiased
question, I simply don't know. Does it provide any benefits?

Peter.