How to interprete the output of --export-ownertrust?

Peter Lebbing peter at digitalbrains.com
Sun Apr 3 13:56:57 CEST 2016

On 03/04/16 13:30, Dashamir Hoxha wrote:
> The mapping is this (as far as I know):
>  4->full, 3->marginal, 2->none, 1->unknown

Nope, that's just how you enter them in the dialog:

> Please decide how far you trust this user to correctly verify other users' keys
> (by looking at passports, checking fingerprints from different sources, etc.)
>
>   1 = I don't know or won't say
>   2 = I do NOT trust
>   3 = I trust marginally
>   4 = I trust fully
>   5 = I trust ultimately
>   m = back to the main menu
>
> Your decision?

I don't know what the numbers in a trust database export mean; at the
very least, they seem to be one higher than the choices in the dialog
(note there are 6's in the output. On a quick check, this corresponded
to an ultimately trusted key, and a 4 corresponded to a marginally
trusted key).

However; this is meant as a machine-readable format, not a
human-readable one. I would have expected it to be documented in
doc/DETAILS, but I didn't find it with two scans through the document.

gpg2 --edit-key is for human consumption, gpg2 --export-ownertrust is
for a later --import-ownertrust, not for human consumption.

Christine, what are you trying to accomplish? Why do you need this
output from --export-ownertrust?

Also, when you start a new topic, could you please post a fresh new
message to the mailing list, instead of replying to an unrelated post?
People who use threading mail readers see this thread as part of the
"where is gnupg configure file" thread. They might even miss your
message altogether when they're not interested in that topic and ignore
any further messages in that thread.

HTH,

Peter.