Paper backup

Paolo Bolzoni paolo.bolzoni.brown at gmail.com
Mon Apr 25 15:06:50 CEST 2016

I did something similar for the revocation certificate. I used LaTeX
preparing this template for the students:
http://www.inf.unibz.it/dis/teaching/INFSEC/ex/revocation.tar.xz

I think paper backup are a good idea. For example, I keep mine with my
passport, if my passport (and so revocation certificate) get stolen I
have bigger problems than someone revoking my key.

Besides the QR encoding make easy to copy text, even long to computers
(with maximum redundancy you can store up to 3000 ascii chars).
The only disadvantage I see is that some applications read the code in
unexpected ways. For example instead of showing you the text they will
open random websites.
I tried to look around for a "standard" way to state that a QR
contains only plain text, but with no avail.
However, even if not standard starting the text with "TEXT:" seems to
stop many apps from "tupidly interpret the text.

Honestly I don't really get this egpg for reasons we already
discussed, but LaTeX template for sharing the key or keeping the
revocation information are indeed a good idea.