Paper backup

Peter Lebbing peter at digitalbrains.com
Mon Apr 25 15:11:12 CEST 2016

On 25/04/16 14:52, Dashamir Hoxha wrote:
> What do you think of paper backups, are they useful?

Yes, but I much prefer paperkey[1] for that rather than complete
(minimal) secret key files. Also consider the longevity of the format:
if you want to restore it in 10 years, do you still have the equipment
and software to do so? Do you expect to use your key in 20 years?[2]
Provided we can still work with OpenPGP v4 file formats, paperkey has
got this covered.

I have never used my paper backup. Prudence suggests you should try to
OCR it; laziness suggested otherwise in my case. Worst case, I type it in.

It's purely for when the digital media fail. Which they will, using
common consumer storage media.

HTH,

Peter.

[1] http://www.jabberwocky.com/software/paperkey/
[2] It's real nice to hear people talk about this, but there are so many
things that could change.