making a Debian Live CD for managing GnuPG master key and smartcards

Bob (Robert) Cavanaugh robert.cavanaugh at broadcom.com
Tue Apr 26 20:11:20 CEST 2016

Peter and All,
I completely agree. I think that this "project" is now outside the
scope of this group and should either split off into its own group or
the author should stop self-promoting. My reading of the group
consensus is that this set of scripts is tolerated not endorsed or
recommended. I have seen multiple posts specifically warning against
practices promulgated by this set of scripts and while there are
nothing wrong with experimenting and requesting feedback from the
group I personally feel a line is crossed when this group is used as
the medium to promote a personal project.

On 4/26/2016 4:32 AM, Peter Lebbing wrote:
> On 26/04/16 12:52, Dashamir Hoxha wrote:
>> A project similar in goals (simplifying GnuPG by automating tasks
>> and emphasising best practices) is this one:
>> https://github.com/dashohoxha/egpg You can find the answer to
>> some of the questions above by looking at its code.
>
> I think you are taking the "plugging my project" approach too far.
> While generating exposure is definitely a good component of making
> your project succesful, I think a bit more modesty is in order. If
> I had a say in it: Just create your own threads (not too many
> please :), don't mention your project in every thread where it has
> some common ground.
>
> This is my personal opinion. I don't get to say what you do. But I
> feel the need to express this opinion now.
>
> Regarding your choice of words and also modesty, the answers to
> the questions are not in your code. Your /opinions/ on the matter
> are in your code. You do not get to decide what is truth, what is
> the answer. Incidentally, the answer is 42, so you're late to the
> party... ;P
>
> I hadn't even read the following until I almost trimmed it from the
> mail and it caught my eye... so ...
>
>> In my opinion, the first thing to be done is to build a .deb
>> package for it, so that it can be installed easily on all Debian
>> derived systems, then you can also use it in your special Live CD
>> system. This is the task about it:
>> https://github.com/dashohoxha/egpg/issues/19
>
> Wait, wait, wait... I sincerely hope you're not suggesting that
> the first thing Daniel Pocock and others need to do is build a .deb
> package for your project, that instead you meant this to read as
> "the first thing /I/ should do is build a .deb package for egpg",
> so that they can play with your code. I wouldn't even agree with
> the latter; but the former is just... I hope you can pick your own
> adjective.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Peter.

- --