Evangelzation discussion

Peter Lebbing peter at digitalbrains.com
Wed Apr 27 11:31:19 CEST 2016

On 26/04/16 23:40, Bob (Robert) Cavanaugh wrote:
> All good points, no argument. I particularly agree regarding the
> frequency. By all means promote your own product if you believe in
> it.

I also think it's a good idea if you can read about related software on
this list, but I think that authors should be reluctant to promote their
own stuff in other threads. With care, it can be done, though.

Incidentally, the software will also need to be free software, as per
the rules for FSF lists.

> However, I stand by my opinion that there should be a clear
> demarcation between GnuPG and its official distribution opposed to
> applications, utilities, etc that <use> GnuPG and its official
> distributed utilities.

Yes, I think it would be better if stuff like GPGME, libassuan,
libgcrypt, libgpg-error, libksba and pinentry got their own category on
the website rather than being a peer to the other stuff in related
software...

> Their author(s) should not imply that their
> project is part of GnuPG.

I can't think of an instance where this appeared to be the case, though.
Then again, I know what is part of GnuPG and what not, so I might not
have noticed indeed.

> I just re-checked; egpg is not listed on the gnupg.org 'Download'
> page. It is not even listed on the 'Frontends' tab, which I find
> somewhat surprising, as that should be the appropriate place to be
> listed?

While "related software" is a large list, I don't think it's meant to be
exhaustive. I'm also not sure what the qualifications are to be
considered for being added (other than being free software). I think
this is done informally, on an ad-hoc basis.

My 2 cents,

Peter.