Which GPG version?

Peter Lebbing peter at digitalbrains.com
Wed Aug 10 11:16:24 CEST 2016

On 01/08/16 21:48, Patrick Brunschwig wrote:
> I see the world a little different :-)

The world even! :-)

> If you want to try new features like curve-based encryption, or if you
> are a developer, then go for 2.1. Otherwise, if you are a regular
> end-user, then go for 2.0 and wait with upgrading until 2.1 has become
> mature. This will result in 2.2 being released.

What do you base this view upon? I based my advice upon two instances I can
remember Werner expressing his view about this:

On 04/05/16 11:55, Werner Koch wrote[1]:
> On Wed,  4 May 2016 11:40, peter at digitalbrains.com said:
>
>> Werner, would you recommend they use 2.1 or 2.0 for the Debian Live CD?
>
> 2.1 of course

Note that this is about a Live CD which is expected to be used by people with
larger than average security concerns. You mention the "regular end-user"
yourself. I'd say some of the intended audience of the Live CD have more
stringent needs even than the "regular end-user". On the other hand, a Live CD
for key management is a quite different scenario than day-to-day use on a
regular OS.

And the second, thanks to Lachlan Gunn for reminding me the other day:

On 02/06/16 21:47, Werner Koch wrote[2]:
> On Thu,  2 Jun 2016 12:43, dashohoxha at gmail.com said:
>
>> How far is the branch 2.1 from a stable release?
>
> it is not just stable, but modern!  Go and use it.

So what makes you say that 2.1 will not be for end-users until 2.2 has been
released? I don't think that is the versioning model of the GnuPG project. It
wasn't during the 1.4/2.0 period, before 2.1 was released.

HTH,

Peter.

[1] https://lists.gnupg.org/pipermail/gnupg-users/2016-May/055943.html
[2] https://lists.gnupg.org/pipermail/gnupg-users/2016-June/056107.html