OpenPGP Smartcard recommendations

Karol Babioch karol at babioch.de
Tue Aug 23 02:54:39 CEST 2016

Hi,

Am 22.08.2016 um 23:22 schrieb Anthony Papillion:
> I've gone to the kernelconcepts.de page and tried to contact them but
> it looks like the domain simply isn't accepting mail and the site
> might just be a zombie.

I'm pretty sure you've done something wrong here. I just placed and
received an order last week.

> Can anyone recommend a solid OpenPGP smartcard solution that meets the
> following criteria:

Besides the smartcards from kernelconcepts, you can also become an FSFE
member to get such a card [1].

Personally I absolutely love the YubiKey (4 Nano) [2]. It meets all of
your criteria and can do a lot more (U2F, PIV, token, HOTP, TOTP, etc.).
It is also a lot smaller than a real smartcard and can be left in the
USB port all of the time. The Gemalto USB token (and/or real smartcards)
are rather unhandy - at least for me.

Best regards,
Karol Babioch

P.S.: I should also mention that there is some debate about the open
source nature of the YubiKey 4, since its firmware is not open to review
any longer. Should this be a criterion for you, you have to go with
another solution. You'll find details on the story at [3].

[1]: https://fsfe.org/fellowship/card.html
[2]: https://www.yubico.com/products/yubikey-hardware/yubikey4/
[3]: https://www.yubico.com/2016/05/secure-hardware-vs-open-source/