Attacks on encrypted communicxatiopn rising in Europe

Ben McGinnes ben at adversary.org
Wed Aug 24 16:23:59 CEST 2016

On Wed, Aug 24, 2016 at 08:41:33AM +0200, Werner Koch wrote:
> On Tue, 23 Aug 2016 21:37, johanw at vulcan.xs4all.nl said:
>
> > (German), the German and French government are attacking the right to
> > encrypt communication of their serfs. Also because of their violent
>
> Despite their common declaration to do something against the "evil" of
> encryption, the French and the German texts of that declaration differ!
> The German version does not ask for laws to introduced backdoors or key
> escrow.  See the (German) article at Netzpolitik [1].

Ah-ha, I had wondered whether or not anything was being lost in
translation here, with my main questions given the French focus being
along the lines of, "when is the next election in France?" and, "how
much does the current government have to claw their way back since the
dreadful attacks recently?"

There's an old maxim: all politics is local.

With France and Germany together that's been effectively local since
Dagobert got skewered in a darkened wood (i.e. approx. 12 or 13
centuries).

> The German minister of the interior pushes for a federal agency as a
> central organization to develop and deploy the "federal trojan".  What
> they want are _targeted_ attacks on confidential communication.  They
> know very well that backdoors, as requested by the French, are a bad
> idea.

Good, so that just leaves the French politicians to be convinced and
that's easy.  At least it is if they like having a banking and
financial sector of their economy.  They can have that *or* they can
have backdoors in encryption, but not both.

Here's another old maxim: money talks.

Regards,
Ben

P.S.  We may be in the Second Crypto Wars, but the genie is out of the
      bottle, so that sense of "oh noes, the governments is coming for
      my cryptoes" just isn't there so much.