Attacks on encrypted communicxatiopn rising in Europe

Robert J. Hansen rjh at sixdemonbag.org
Wed Aug 24 16:37:35 CEST 2016

> P.S.  We may be in the Second Crypto Wars, but the genie is out of the
>       bottle, so that sense of "oh noes, the governments is coming for
>       my cryptoes" just isn't there so much.

Yeah, which is why I find both sides of the privacy absolutist debate to
be ... pretty much comically missing the point.

Tor, cgiproxy, GnuPG, Signal, and other such tools are out there and
aren't going to go away.  All proposals to require backdoors are silly,
because so long as just one nation has no such requirement those tools
will continue to exist and development will continue pretty much without
interruption.  So the "backdoor everything!" crowd is completely barmy.

But so too are the privacy absolutists who believe that law-enforcement
is doing something morally wrong when they try to break Tor's anonymity
in the pursuit of awful people.

I find the current state of detente to be pretty good, actually.  We're
allowed to design the best systems we can, and governments are allowed
to discover where we're not as clever as we think we are.  If there's a
flaw in Tor and the FBI uses it to pierce anonymity and go after a bad
guy, I can get behind that.  Way to go, FBI, you did it right, now
please hold on while we figure out how you did this and write a patch to
keep you from doing it again.

I guess you could say my preferred solution to the crypto wars is to
encourage an ongoing escalating crypto arms race.  It's crazy, but it
seems to work.