Hybrid keysigning party, your opinion?

Peter Lebbing peter at digitalbrains.com
Tue Dec 13 19:04:52 CET 2016

On 12/12/16 06:27, Lachlan Gunn wrote:
> My apologies if I came across as overly harsh.

Oh, not at all, I hadn't even noticed one could see it that way.

. What I meant was that it
> took me a little bit of time to work out exactly what you meant, so
> someone unfamilar with the web of trust will probably not follow
> exactly;

This was a mail to a crypto-mailing list asking cryppies for advice on
how to cripple... er... subvert a certain setup. Totally different audience!

> One last thought: This may be naïvely optimistic, but if everyone
> finishes at the same time then you can always do a second confirmation
> of the list-hash at the end for people who are late to the session.

Hmm, interesting idea. Could be possible.

>  Or
> if you're into arts and crafts, give them a copy of the master hash on
> overhead transparency that they can use to very quickly check against
> someone else's.

Or hang a truly huge printout on the wall and at the start of the
session, together observe that it is correct. Any latecomers can be told
"look, everybody thinks it's completely normal that we have a 64 digit
hex code on the wall, and that's because we all agreed it's the right one".

Cheers,

Peter.