Error when signing

Peter Lebbing peter at digitalbrains.com
Wed Feb 3 10:42:39 CET 2016

On 02/02/16 19:35, Ludovic Hirlimann wrote:
> Sure I'm trying to gpg  --edit-key XXXXXX
>
> Setup works with my other and older key.

Your gpg.conf seems okay, but when I download your key from the
keyserver, it's telling me that you revoked the key on the day you
created it. The error "secret key not available" is a bit misleading; I
think perhaps "available" here indicates "usable". You cannot sign with
an expired key. However, this explanation doesn't quite account for this
output you got:

> gpg -K
> sec   rsa4096/C3A81C07 2015-12-17
> uid         [ultimate] Ludovic Hirlimann (work key) <ludovic at mozilla.com>
> uid         [ultimate] Ludovic Hirlimann <ludovic at hirlimann.net>
> uid         [ultimate] Ludovic Hirlimann <lhirlimann at mozilla.com>
> ssb   rsa4096/FFC53A40 2015-12-17

Because it should say "revoked" for the UID validity.

So... why are you trying to sign with a key that appears to be revoked?
And did you revoke it on a different computer and not import the
revocation to this computer that still says "ultimate" for validity?

BTW, which version of GnuPG are you using, and on which platform?

HTH,

Peter.