Compact smartcard reader with pin entry?

CANNON NATHANIEL CIOTA cannon at cannon-ciota.info
Sun Feb 21 12:13:36 CET 2016

I have a securely generated and stored PGP key on a smartcard. I wish to
use my smartcard for email signing & decryption. Problem is that I am
unable to do this since my current CAC reader does not have a built in
pin entry. No point in smartcards if a keylogger can just simply harvest
the pin then make use of the smartcard for signing/decryption whenever
it is plugged in. This is a very real possibility. In fact there is a
case where malware has done this in the past on DoD systems.

All the smartcard readers I have seen are unnecessarily massively bulky
the size of a brick or untrusted hardware. What are recommendations for
a compact CAC reader with built in pin entry from a trusted brand that
works with GnuPG smartcards?

--
Cannon N. Ciota
Digital Identity (namecoin): id/cannon
Email: cannon at cannon-ciota.info
PGP Fingerprint: E7FB 0605 1BD4 8B88 B7BC 91A4 7DF7 76C7 25A6 AEE2