Are ZLIB and ZLIB2 no longer supported in GnuPG?

Anthony Papillion anthony at cajuntechie.org
Fri Feb 26 20:23:12 CET 2016

I recently compiled the latest version of GnuPG 2 from source (.29, I
believe) and, when I tried to use it, was told that I had invalid
options in my .conf file. Specifically, it told me that ZLIB and ZLIB2
weren't supported as compression algos.

Are those two algos no longer supported by GnuPG or was this just a
compile flag that I didn't pass it? If they aren't supported, are there
any security or usability implications to only using ZIP for compression?

Thanks,
Anthony