Question about getting started with PGP and smart cards

Joshua Terrill joshterrill.dev at gmail.com
Fri Feb 26 23:08:06 CET 2016

Hello,

I am looking to play around/experiment with gnupg and smart cards. From
what little research I've done, I've read about OpenPGP smart cards don't
reveal private keys, and do all decrypting/signing on the device itself
after entering a PIN. Do I have a correct understanding of this, and if so,
is this the common/most secure way to use these cards? For simple
encrypting, decrypting, and signing what card and card reader would you
recommend? I have a windows environment and an ubuntu environment that I
can play with it on.

Thanks!
-Josh