Question about getting started with PGP and smart cards

Peter Lebbing peter at digitalbrains.com
Sat Feb 27 14:41:46 CET 2016

On 26/02/16 23:08, Joshua Terrill wrote:
> For simple encrypting, decrypting, and signing what card and card reader
> would you recommend?

Though I still need to experience it myself, I think I would recommend GnuK[1]
by NIIBE.

Otherwise, a standard OpenPGP card[2], which you can also get through an FSF
fellowship.

As a reader, in a large form-factor I like the SCM SPR532, which seems to have
been superseded by the SPR332[3][4]? In a small form-factor, I bought a
Chipdrive MyKey for something like € 15, because it includes an SCM cardreader
that identifies itself as:

$ lsusb -s 1:6
Bus 001 Device 006: ID 04e6:5116 SCM Microsystems, Inc. SCR331-LC1 / SCR3310
SmartCard Reader

The disadvantage of this reader is that it is totally not dust tight, despite
what the manufacturer may claim. If kept in a trouser pocket, it'll accumulate
dust inside the USB connector quickly. I remedied this by buying a new shell,
which turned out to be ever so slightly too small in one direction. This I fixed
by filing off a part of the PCB of the reader, since I could determine I would
not damage any traces by doing so. Long story short, if you want to keep it in
your trouser pocket and have an easy solution, look further, don't buy the MyKey.

HTH,

Peter.

[1] http://www.fsij.org/category/gnuk.html
[2] http://shop.kernelconcepts.de/#openpgp