Question about getting started with PGP and smart cards

Andrew Gallagher andrewg at andrewg.com
Mon Feb 29 17:52:27 CET 2016

On 29/02/16 15:31, Martin Ilchev wrote:

> For Windows I installed gpg4win and migrated my linux gpg.conf and keys
> over and it just worked. Also in windows if you want to use putty with a
> smart card you will need a patched putty agent. You can get one from
> here http://smartcard-auth.de/ssh-en.html. It is free to use with
> OpenPGP Smartcards from kernel concepts so a win-win :).

Unfortunately the developer of that pageant replacement distributes
unsigned binary blobs over plain HTTP. The Windows build of GnuPG 2.1 on
the other hand (linked from the official gnupg site) has a gpg-agent
that can run as a pageant replacement for putty (same idea as ssh-agent
replacement). You don't get all the graphical tools that come with
GPG4Win, but it's a safer (and more future-proof) solution IMO.