Remote gpg-agent and pinentry

Joshua Bachmeier joshua at bachmeier.cc
Mon Jan 4 00:59:36 CET 2016

Hello everybody,

following Neals talk "An Advanced Introduction to GnuPG" at 32C3, I
tried to configure myself a remote gpg-agent.
I wasn't quiet able to figure out how this is supposed to work (or if it
even can) with pinentry and only found an ugly sometimes-working workaround.
Anyway here is what i did (sorry for the long text):

On my remote machine:

$ su gpg
$ echo 'extra-socket /home/gpg/.gnupg/S.gpg-agent-remote' \
     >> /home/gpg/.gnupg/gpg-agent.conf
$ gpg-agent --daemon

On my local machine I used ssh to forward the gpg-agent socket:

$ ssh -o ExitOnForwardFailure=yes -o StreamLocalBindUnlink=yes \
      -L
/home/joshua/.gnupg/S.gpg-agent:/home/gpg/.gnupg/S.gpg-agent-remote \
    gpg "bash -c 'while sleep 5; do echo NOP; done | gpg-connect-agent'"

`gpg` is known by ssh (~/.ssh/config) with all the correct settings
(Host, Keyfile, etc).

So far, everything as Neal explained. This works as long as the remote
gpg-agent does not try to invoke pinentry (even if it is installed on
the remote machine). For example, if i try to import an (encrypted)
secret key:

 $ gpg --import /tmp/secret.key
gpg: key D585E323: "Joshua Bachmeier <joshua at bachmeier.cc>" not changed
gpg: error getting the KEK: Forbidden
gpg: Total number processed: 1
gpg:              unchanged: 1
gpg:       secret keys read: 1

Makes sense, since pinentry can't be invoked on the remote machine.

So, now the workaround, using the pinentry loopback:

On the remote machine:
$ killall gpg-agent
$ gpg-agent --daemon --allow-loopback-pinentry

Back on the local machine, we first need to adapt the ssh tunnel, since
the extra-socket runs in "restricted mode", wich disallows loopback.
Just use the standard socket (on the remote machine) then:

$ ssh ...
      -L /home/joshua/.gnupg/S.gpg-agent:/home/gpg/.gnupg/S.gpg-agent \

Try again:
 $ gpg --pinentry-mode=loopback -v --import /tmp/secret.key
gpg: armor header: Version: GnuPG v2
gpg: sec  rsa4096/D585E323 2015-01-15   Joshua Bachmeier <jo...ier.cc>
gpg: pub  rsa4096/D585E323 2015-01-15  Joshua Bachmeier <jo...eier.cc>
gpg: key D585E323: removed multiple subkey binding
gpg: key D585E323: "Joshua Bachmeier <joshua at bachmeier.cc>" not changed
Enter passphrase: <...>
gpg: key D585E323/D585E323: secret key imported
gpg: key D585E323/258377D5: secret key imported
gpg: key D585E323: secret key imported
gpg: Total number processed: 3
gpg:              unchanged: 1
gpg:       secret keys read: 3
gpg:   secret keys imported: 2

This also works for --sign, but not for --delete-secret-keys.

tl;dr

If you got here, thanks!

So the loopback trick is rather ugly, since it won't work with e.g.
Enigmail, and requires to disable the "restricted mode" (which i'm sure
is there for a reason).
What I would find ideal would be to somehow let the remote gpg-agent
trigger a pinentry on the local machine (maybe via looping back to the
local gpg and letting that invoke pinentry?).

Thanks in advance for answers / help / suggestions.

Regards,
Joshua

Remote version:
 $ gpg-agent --version
gpg-agent (GnuPG) 2.1.10
libgcrypt 1.6.4
Copyright...

Local version:
 $ gpg --version
gpg (GnuPG) 2.1.9
libgcrypt 1.6.4
<http://gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html>

Home: ~/.gnupg
Supported algorithms:
Pubkey: RSA, ELG, DSA, ECDH, ECDSA, EDDSA
Cipher: IDEA, 3DES, CAST5, BLOWFISH, AES, AES192, AES256, TWOFISH,
        CAMELLIA128, CAMELLIA192, CAMELLIA256
Compression: Uncompressed, ZIP, ZLIB, BZIP2