GPG-Agent not recognising SSH keys

Jacques Kotze jacques.kotze at gmail.com
Tue Jan 12 12:58:57 CET 2016

Hi All,

First time post, so please excuse me if it is a ignorant noob question :)

I am using gpg-agent (GnuPG) 2.1.9 with libgcrypt 1.6.4 on a Mac OS 10.10.

I have created a pgp subkey that is intended for use as an ssh key. This
subkey's keygrip has been added to

$> ~/.gnupgp/sshcontrol

I would assume that this would then allow the pgp subkey to be added as a
ssh key automatically that I can use... but when I run

$> ssh-add -L
The agent has no identities.

I expected it to output the Public Key intended for ssh use (and keygrip
listed in sshcontrol)

I first suspected that gpp-agent wasn't thus running properly or something
else was amiss. Here is what I checked:

$> echo $SSH_AUTH_SOCK
/private/tmp/com.apple.launchd.gTFZghO8E7/Listeners

Looks fine.. how about killing everything and starting it again:

$> unset GPG_AGENT_INFO SSH_AGENT_PID SSH_AUTH_SOCK
$> eval $(/usr/local/MacGPG2/bin/gpg-agent --daemon --enable-ssh-support)

Lets check that I always enable ssh support on gpg-agent:

$> cat ~/.gnupg/gpg-agent.conf
enable-ssh-support

Ok.. so I am stumped. Any help appreciated :)

Regards

Jacques