Side-By-Side Installation: Gpg4win and gnuPG

Andre Heinecke aheinecke at intevation.de
Mon Jul 11 11:36:28 CEST 2016

Hi,

On Sunday 10 July 2016 00:57:51 Kob S wrote:
> Running      C:\gnupg2.1.13\gpg --expert --full-gen-key

> I suspect that gnuPG is looking at the same <user>\AppData\Roaming\gnupg
> directory that is being used by gpg4win. If that is the case, is there a
> way to force gnuPG to use a different directory? I could not find any
> config file that would let me do that.
>
> Thanks for any help,

Although using the same homedir should not hurt much, gnupg-2.1 will migrate
your secret keys to a new format but leave the files in a way that gnupg-2.0
can still read them. But there will be problems with the gnupg-agent as gnupg
needs the same version of the agent that the program belongs to.

To avoid that you should specify --homedir c:\testhome or something on the
commandline to 2.1 calls. Then it will use that as a different homedir.

e.g.:

gpg --homedir c:\testhome --expert --full-gen-key

would generate you a key in c:\testhome

Regards,
Andre

--